Plans for reopening should identify the groups of people involved and engaged throughout the planning process.
Throughout the planning process, district officials sought feedback from its stakeholders. Staff and families were surveyed, and the district formed advisory committees consisting of medical professionals, students (high school), parents/guardians from each building level, teachers, building and district administrators and board of education members to review and provide feedback on the district’s draft reopening plan.
The school and/or district developed a communications plan for students, parents or legal guardians of students, staff, and visitors that includes applicable instructions, training, signage, and a consistent means to provide individuals with information.
To provide information to families, students, staff and the community, the Fayetteville-Manlius CSD will employ a diverse communication strategy that will include the school district’s website, social media channels, SchoolMessenger, an emergency alert system that sends email, text and phone notifications television announcements and the use of the “Let’s Talk!” online communication (two-way dialogue) platform.
To ensure regular and informational communications with the public, the Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District (F-M CSD) will implement the following methods of communication:
Communication Method/Responsible Party
- Local TV, radio, and newspapers: Administration/Communications
- District website – dedicated page for reopening: Administration/Communications
- Social media platforms: Administration/Communications
- Prominent signage in buildings to promote health & safety guidelines that follow NYSDOH and CDC guidance: Administration/Communications
– Printed signs
– Digital signage
– Vinyl decals on floors, as needed
- Town Hall Events, Meetings, Webinars: Administration/Communications
Parents/Guardians and Students
All public communications methods outlined above may be utilized by the Fayetteville-Manlius School District, in addition to:
Communication Method/Responsible Party
- SchoolMessenger: Building Principals
- Emails to parents/guardians: Administration/Teachers
- Letters sent home from Administration: Administration/Communications
All District Staff
All communications methods outlined above may be utilized by the Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District (F-M CSD), in addition to:
Communication Method/Responsible Party/Frequency
- Fayetteville-Manlius CSD all-staff email list: Administrators/Support Staff;
weekly or as needed
- Newsletters, print and digital: Communications/Administrators;
- SchoolMessenger: Building Principals/Communications;
- Direct supervisor communications – phone calls and texts: Supervising Staff;
- Letters home, if necessary: Administrators; as needed
- Staff meetings: Administrators; as needed
The school and/or district will ensure all students are taught or trained how to follow new COVID-19 protocols safely and correctly, including but not limited to hand hygiene, proper face covering wearing, social distancing, and respiratory hygiene.
The district will provide video shorts to demonstrate the protocols for hand hygiene, proper face covering wearing, social distancing, and respiratory hygiene.
Training and timelines for training is provided in the following ways:
- Video segments available online prior to the restart of in-person instruction.
- Distribution of a single-page planning statement prior to the restart of in-person instruction.
The school and/or district will encourage all students, faculty, staff, and visitors through verbal and written communication (e.g., signage) to adhere to CDC and DOH guidance regarding the use of PPE, specifically acceptable face coverings inside the building and when a social distance cannot be maintained outside of the building.
- CDC: K-12 Schools and Child Care Programs FAQs
- DOH: Interim Guidance for In-Person Instruction at PreK to 12 Schools
- CDC: How to Wear Masks
See above regarding district-produced video training vignettes and a district single-page summary plan.
Additionally, Fayetteville-Manlius CSD provides copies of this document in the language(s) spoken at home among families and throughout the school community. Written plans are also accessible to those with visual and/or hearing impairments.
Interested parties may request access to those documents by calling the District Office at (315) 692 – 1200. *For copies of this document in other languages, please contact Sarah Gridley (District Clerk) at this phone number.
Additional Considerations for Effective Communications and Family Engagement
The Fayetteville-Manlius CSD’s primary source of information for families is its official website. On the website, the district provides regular updates about safety, scheduling, and other important information. Families can also provide feedback to the district at any time (24/7/365) by initiating a “Let’s Talk!” communication inquiry.
The Fayetteville-Manlius CSD has promoted on its website the Onondaga County Department of Health’s COVID-19 telephone hotline, which can be accessed by calling (315) 692-1200 and asking to speak to someone about COVID-19.
The district created a dedicated COVID-19 section on its website to share important information and updates.
All other concerns can be directed to the district’s school safety officer Kelly Neish.
The safety coordinator can answer questions regarding COVID-19 from: