Parents and guardians of Fayetteville-Manlius School District student-athletes will have the option of allowing their children to soon participate in several sports typically held during the spring months.
The F-M Board of Education met Monday, March 22, and approved the following sports seasons to begin Monday, April 19:
- Boys and Girls Lacrosse
- Boys and Girls Track and Field
- Boys Tennis
- Girls Golf
Families must register their children through Family ID for students to participate.
In January, Onondaga County Health Department issued a health advisory to school districts within the county stating that each district’s board of education must approve the district’s participation in each high-risk sport. The county also requires districts to implement several health and safety precautions, including:
- Developing sport-specific preparedness plans, which were approved by the school physician earlier this school year;
- Weekly COVID-19 testing for athletes and coaches;
- Mask wearing at all times with mask breaks allowed;
- Only scheduling contests with districts that are also conducting COVID-19 testing of athletes and coaches; and
- Staggering practice and game times to avoid crowding and congestion when participants, referees/officials and spectators are arriving, playing and leaving.
To minimize the number of people gathering at athletic events, the district will allow two spectators for each F-M and visiting athlete per outdoor event. Spectators will be required to follow social distancing guidelines and should not gather with anyone who resides outside of their respective household.
Similar to winter sports events, there will be no spectators permitted for indoor events.
The athletics department will live stream home events so students’ families will be able to watch competitions.