F-M High School cleared for re-entry following fire alarm

Fayetteville-Manlius High School was evacuated earlier today after smoke from a mechanical failure in a heating unit triggered a fire alarm.

Fire department officials responded to the alarm, which was triggered at approximately 10:30 a.m., and determined the smoke was caused by a blown fuse, which started a small fire. A maintenance worker who was servicing the unit was able to immediately extinguish the fire.

The heating unit was safely turned off by officials.

There were no injuries and fire department officials deemed the building safe for reentry approximately 15 minutes after the evacuation.

Classes resumed at approximately 10:45 a.m.