Eagle Hill Middle School held a parent orientation on May 20 for families of students who will be entering grade 5 in the fall.
Below are highlights of the discussion that took place.
Counseling Department and Services
Mrs. Aeri Chapman, Grade 5 Counselor
Mrs. Deb Kuntz, Counseling Secretary
- Parent conferences
- Interim reports, report cards, assessment scores
- Lunch groups
- Classroom instruction and the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA)
- Individual student intervention
Middle school scheduling
Counselors and administrators meet with elementary school personnel, and counselors make placements based on compiled information.
Placement considerations include:
- Academic levels
- Teacher input
- Special services
- Assessment scores (class balance)
- Class size
- Parent input
Written communication from families to Mrs. Chapman must be received by June 14. Please do not name a specific teacher and team.
Schedules may arrive home during the week of Aug. 26.
Typical grade 5 schedule
- 7:15–8 a.m. Large Group Instruction room (LGI)
- 8:05–8:10 a.m. Homeroom and announcements
- 8:10–10:30 a.m. Academic core courses
- 10:30–11 a.m. Lunch
- 11–11:30 a.m. Recess
- 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Team time and special area courses
- 1:15–2 p.m. Academic core courses
- 2–2:40 p.m. Health, Reading, Band and Orchestra
- 2:40–2:50 p.m. Announcements and dismissal
- 2:50–3:30 p.m. Enrichment period (Monday–Thursday)
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Academic enrichment
- Math support
- Reading support
- Resource and special education
- Speech and language
Special Area Courses
- Physical education
Available 2:50–3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday with few exceptions.
- Academic support
- Activities and clubs, including Lego Land, Green Club, Intramurals and PRIDE
- Late buses from 3:30-4:15 p.m.
- Home and School Association and committees
- Next Meeting: 6:30 p.m. June 11 in the school’s main office
- Grades 5 and 6 events
- Grades 6, 7 and 8 dances
- Site-Based Team
- Hornet’s Nest
Grade 4 to 5 transition activities
Mrs. Chapman meets with grade 4 students, teachers and counselors.
Grade 4 students visit Eagle Hill.
Grade 4 activity at Eagle Hill. Pick-Up at 4:30 p.m. at Eagle Hill.