Fayetteville-Manlius will build in staggered hand washing times for students and staff and increase hand hygiene strategies to include:
- Traditional hand washing (with soap and warm water, lathering for a minimum of 20 seconds), which is the preferred method;
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers (60% alcohol or greater);
- Placement of hand sanitizer throughout common areas (e.g. entrances, cafeteria), near high-touch surfaces, and use touch-free dispensers when able;
- Signage near hand sanitizer indicating that visibly soiled hands should be washed with soap and water; and
- Permitting any staff or students unable to use hand sanitizer to instead wash their hands with soap and water.
Fayetteville-Manlius provides the following:
- Facilities and supplies for hand washing, including soap and water;
- Paper towels and touch-free paper towel dispensers where feasible; air dryers have been removed and disabled from all buildings;
- No-touch trash cans;
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol or disinfectant hand wipes;
- Time in the schedule to allow for frequent hand washing; and
- Promotion of proper hand washing before meals, after recess or physical education, before and after removing PPE, and other times, as appropriate.
All students and staff should wash their hands, as follows:
- Upon entering the building and each classroom;
- After using shared objects or surfaces (e.g. electronic devices, musical instruments, writing utensils, tools, toys, desks or table tops);
- Before and after snacks and lunch;
- After using the bathroom;
- After helping a student with toileting;
- After sneezing, wiping or blowing nose, or coughing into hands;
- Upon coming in from outdoors; and
- Any time hands are visibly soiled.