G. Mandatory Suspension for Bringing a Firearm to School
Students Who Bring a Weapon to Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District Property or Functions
Any student found guilty of bringing or possessing a “firearm,” as defined above, onto Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District property will be subject to suspension from Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District programs for at least one calendar year. Before being suspended, the student will have an opportunity for a hearing pursuant to Education Law §3214. The superintendent has the authority to modify the one- year suspension on a case-by-case basis. In deciding whether to modify the penalty, the superintendent may consider the following:
- The student’s age.
- The student’s grade in school.
- The student’s prior disciplinary record.
- The superintendent’s belief that other forms of discipline may be more effective.
- Input from parents/persons in parental relation, teacher, and/or others.
- Other extenuating circumstances.
A student with a disability may be suspended in accordance with the requirements of state and federal law.