The Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment where all members feel included, respected, valued and connected by affirming individual identities, fostering relationships and recognizing diversity as an asset for teaching and learning.
In spring 2021, the New York State Board of Regents launched an initiative to advance diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in New York state schools that is based upon the New York State Education Department’s Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education Framework (CR-SE).
The Board of Regents released the draft CR-SE framework along with its own policy statement, an organizational roadmap designed to involve families and community members in the DEI process, a series of six executive summary informational briefs to be shared with stakeholders and a call to action for all schools to develop policies that advance DEI.
The Fayetteville-Manlius School District is closely following the state guidance while also taking into account feedback from its many stakeholders, including students and their families and district staff.
DEI foundational documents
Below are the state documents the district has reviewed to inform the work it is doing to become a more inclusive, welcoming school community with a focus on ensuring that all students receive the necessary support for an equitable educational experience.
- NYSED Board of Regents Policy Statement
- NYSED Board of Regents Call to Action
- NYSED Overview Graphic
- NYSED Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education Framework Brief Overview (Executive Summaries)
- NYSED CRSE Brief #1: What is Culturally Response-Sustaining Education?
- NYSED CRSE Brief #2: What is the Culturally Responsive-Sustaining Education Framework?
- NYSED CRSE Brief #3: What do students gain when CRSE guides our educational systems?
- NYSED CRSE Brief #4: Why should schools focus on the cultures of their students?
- NYSED CRSE Brief #5: What are the four principles of the CRSE Framework?
- NYSED CRSE Brief #6: How does implementing CRSE Framework improve your school community as a whole?
- NYSED CRSE Framework Roadmap Overview
- NYSED CRSE Framework Roadmap Worksheet
Questions? Concerns? Use Let’s Talk!
To provide district stakeholders the opportunity to share with the F-M administration their questions or concerns about the district’s DEI initiatives, the district has established a diversity, equity and inclusion section on F-M’s Let’s Talk online platform.
Let’s Talk is a web-based, two-way communications tool that allows anyone to share concerns or questions with district administrators at any time.
- District unveils diversity, equity and inclusion statement: Sept. 22, 2021
- Board’s Eye View: A message from the F-M Board of Education: Sept. 15, 2022
- Board discusses DEI work, school reopening plans: July 8, 2021
- Superintendent Tice provides update on diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives: May 3, 2021