Fayetteville-Manlius High School’s production of “Newsies” has been nominated for 13 Syracuse High School Theatre Awards, including Best Overall in the Large Schools category.
Winners will be announced June 2 during the fifth annual Syracuse High School Theatre Awards event, which will take place at the Landmark Theatre in downtown Syracuse. Advance Media New York (Syracuse.com, The Post-Standard, NYUP) established the event to celebrate and recognize local students’ achievements in the arts.
Fifteen awards will be presented throughout the evening, and the Tony Awards-inspired production will feature hundreds of cast, crew and orchestra members from local schools and the community.
Out of the 28 schools participating, 22 schools from five counties received nominations.
Fayetteville-Manlius High School drama students performed Disney’s “Newsies” as their spring musical in March. Based on the Newsboy Strike of 1899, the musical tells the story of Jack Kelly, a rebellious newsboy who dreams of a life as an artist away from New York City. After publishing giant Joseph Pulitzer raises newspaper prices at the newsboys’ expense, Kelly and his fellow newsies take action. With help from a reporter, all of New York City soon recognizes the power of “the little man.”
Fayetteville-Manlius received the following 13 nominations.
- Best Overall – Large Schools (enrollment over 500)
- Outstanding Work by a Student Stage Crew
- Outstanding Acting Performance by a Cast (Formerly Outstanding Direction)
- Outstanding Vocal Performance by a Cast (Formerly Outstanding Music Direction)
- Outstanding Dance Performance by a Cast
- Outstanding Performance by an Orchestra
- Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble/Chorus
- Outstanding Production Number: “King of New York”
- Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Lead Role: Marco Giacona and Massimo Giacona as Jack Kelly
- Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Matt Baum as Joseph Pulitzer
- Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Julia Gerardi and Marion Avila as Medda Larkin
- Outstanding Performance by a Rising Star Actor: Gerard McCrohan as Race
- Outstanding Performance by a Rising Star Actress: Lidia McDaniel as Les