Thirteen Fayetteville-Manlius High School juniors were recently inducted into the Fayetteville-Manlius Delta Epsilon Phi German National Honor Society, New York Beta Alpha Chapter.
Delta Epsilon Phi celebrates student academic achievement in German and promotes the study of the language, literature and culture of German speaking countries. One student from the honor society chapter is annually eligible to apply for the Käthe Wilson Memorial German Summer Study Scholarship, which awards three weeks with a host family in Germany.
Juniors Katherine Berge’, Emily Durkin, Alexandra Egnaczak, Lydia Henn, George Langenberg, Renata Longo, Hope Myhill, Daniel Popp, Kate Scuderi, Gillian Stuhler, Christopher Szidat, Samuel Theoharis, and Claire Weinheimer were inducted into the F-M chapter in November.
Membership in the National German Honor Society has the following requirements:
- Must be a junior or senior;
- Taken three or more years of German;
- A minimum average of 90 percent in German;
- An overall minimum grade point average of 75 percent; and
- Participation during junior and senior years in a minimum of five of the following 11 extra-curricular German-related activities:
- Volunteer at the Syracuse Oktoberfest;
- Represent German Club (if a member) at the high school activities fair;
- Volunteer at Wellwood Middle School’s International Dessert Night;
- Participate in the fall induction ceremony as a senior;
- Volunteer at the Foreign Language Fair;
- Participate in the German Lip Dub video during junior or senior year;
- Take the National German Exam;
- Tutor students of German after school;
- One-on-one practice Checkpoint B orals with German 3 students in April and May;
- Be a German Club member with consistent attendance; or
- Practice speaking tasks with German 3 students before final exams.
Existing members who are seniors are Julia Gerardi, Timothy Kaiser, Jordan Krouse, Rachel Palladino, Paige Pepling, Allison Ritter, Angela Wu and Helen Ziobrowski.